Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Workshop Wednesday! Finishing up Figurative Language with Poetry!


http://ideasbyjivey.blogspot.com/I'm excited to finally be able to join in on the Workshop Wednesday fun with my girl, Jivey!

I teach ELA twice a day to two energetic 4th grade classes. Maybe I'm an odd ball, but I absolutely LOVE teaching writing. I love encouraging students to share their creativity with me and I love seeing reluctant writers produce multiple pages with a huge smile on their face.


http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Figurative-Language-OWL-Theme-Posters-503955We just finished up our animal unit and worked a lot with figurative language.  I know I posted a lot about this unit, but it seemed to go on forever. At first the students couldn't even tell me what figurative language or Author's Craft was. I'm sure they learned it in the past, but they insisted they were clueless. I started off putting up my figurative language bulletin board. Believe it or not, my students actually read the things I post on the boards. This proved to be very helpful for them.


http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/50-Figurative-Laguage-TaskFlash-Cards-Partner-Small-Group-Intervention-546948For morning work I had my students work in groups working through the task cards a few days a week. This was the perfect morning work activity because my students all arrive at different times. This was also low prep. I didn't have to run around copying papers before school for morning work. They love quizzing each other, it keeps them quiet, they are engaged, and they are learning.  Win/Win!

While working on this project, the student's shared their work with me via Google Docs. I logged in and provided each group with feedback and they kept editing and revising their work until they were pleased with the end result. The students shared their poems with the class via the Smart Board and the class discussed the nonfiction facts they learned about the animals. Overall, the lesson was excellent and the students even asked to do it again. We are just finishing up the rest of our animal poetry. We worked in Google Docs on our Chrome Books in class with groups. We read nonfiction articles about animals, researched for more information about the animal, took notes, and created a poem portraying the researched animal. Students were to add figurative language and use strong word choice. While working on this project, the student's shared their work with me via Google Docs. I logged in and provided each group with feedback and they kept editing and revising their work until they were pleased with the end result. The students shared their poems with the class via the Smart Board and the class discussed the nonfiction facts they learned about the animals. Overall, the lesson was excellent and the students even asked to do it again.


Here are a few student examples from Google Docs. I love how they tried to incorporate the nonfiction facts into the story, like our mentor texts Verdi, Pinduli, and Stellaluna all by Janell Cannon.



We were also able to work with Jivey's awesome Idiom packet, which the students LOVED.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/30-Idioms-Interactive-Notebook-Activities-Centers-Posters-and-Assessments-1066577

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to print these fun posters out in color because our school's color printer broke, but the foldables were awesome resources for my students' notebooks! You will hear more about this Friday when I have pictures to share! 

This week has been odd....snow day Monday, two hour delay Tuesday, and a snow day today, Wednesday!


4 comments:

  1. I love your animal poems!! I can't wait to try them out later on this year with our animal unit in Science! :) Thanks so much for linking up! :)
    Jivey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your schedule this week has been just like mine!

    Thanks for sharing. I love the poems!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a crazy week for you! Your kids did a great job on their animal poems! I love how you said your kids actually reference your bulletin boards...mine do too! Makes us happy to know we're not wasting our time right?? LOL
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your animal poems! I also like you idea of using task cards for morning work. I have several sets that I don't use as often as I'd like.

    Thank you!

    Mary
    Fit to be Fourth

    ReplyDelete

We absolutely LOVE comments and reply back to every single one. Unfortunately, the way the site is set up, you will not be notified when we reply. Make sure you have your email address linked up to your account. We will reply to you by email! Thank you SO much for stopping by and reading what we have to say.